Thursday, May 21, 2009

Your horse is a mirror Part 2

Since my fall, I've been thinking a lot about this subject. I knew that Scottie did not buck me off just because he didn't want me on his back. I also knew he did not spook. Everyone thought he got stung, but I wasn't sure I thought that was it either. So what else could it be, not much left to pick from.

I've been noticing for the last couple of months that he's been showing signs of the 'old' Scottie. A bit more on alert, head up, snorting more, that kind of thing. I began to think I needed to do more ground work with him, that I was slacking with it. Then it dawned on me. Since I broke my ankle, I can't ride. But I can do ground work. (And I have been.) Hmmm, maybe this happened to GROUND me, so I would have no choice but to work him on the ground.

Additionally, I spoke to two trainers about his behavior. They both said that most likely he is in pain. They asked whether or not he'd had any accident or fall. A few months ago he fell going up a muddy hill. The timing is just about right. Since he's been resisting flexing through his poll, it also makes sense. The pieces are starting to come together now. After long discussions with both trainers, they both are fairly certain he is out in his poll and withers.

I am relieved to (hopefully) have an answer. But what about the ground work theory? I still think it holds true. At least it gave me a heads up that I needed to modify my behavior. And, I'll stay on the ground with Scottie until we figure out if something is going on in his poll and withers.

In this instance, he was not acting as a mirror for me, but was telling me or teaching me something that I really needed to pay attention to. Had a been a different kind of person, I might have whopped him with a crop and just got mad at him. Maybe I'd have even thought he was being willfull.

When our horses behave in strange ways we need to remember to look outside of the situation. Aside from always having a horse reason for what they do, they also are sending us very strong messages. Truly, they are amazing creatures.





Loretta