Monday, January 25, 2010

My Stall Door

On Saturday morning when I went out to the barn to prepare for my 10am lesson, this is what I found.
Stryker's looking down at the door like "Hmm, not sure, but I don't think the door should be like this. Scottie...."




The door was completely off the hinges and hanging by one little latch that I recently put on. Stryker was still in, that was the good news. He could have easily been tempted to hop over the dismantled door and perhaps would have injured himself in the process. So how can this happen you ask?

Ask Scottie. He was apparently trying to chew his way in and discovered that he could lift the door with his mouth. There are NO kick marks. I believe if Scottie kicked the door it would've been shattered. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting him in person, the 17.2h draft cross is LARGE.

What was that I said? Chew his way in? Yep. He is not trying to let Stryker out. Oh, that's a nice thought. But it's not the right one. That was his stall. Every morning and evening like clockwork, at feeding time, he would go right in there. He would politely wait for his food, then stay a while. (If I didn't shut him in he would take the other's food.) So he would use that time alone to rest. To not be the herd leader. To decompress. You get the picture. With Stryker in there he does not get that down time. I know how you feel buddy, I need my alone time too. :)




Loretta

the natural horseman
clear communication/visible results