Saturday, April 16, 2011

Updates on Apollo

Ah, there is so much to say!  Not just about Apollo, although there is a whole lot on that category alone!


He is a really great pony and I will be forever grateful to my friend Katie for letting me know about him.  He is not only beautiful to look at, but fun to ride with a canter everyone LOVES!  


He and Gem are in love.  Yes, it was love at first site and it grows stronger every day. :O)


Apollo has been on 5 trail rides in the 5 weeks he's been here.  He is getting more and more comfortable and seems to truly enjoy them.  I rode him on the last 2, just yesterday and Friday.  He was very good.  Went walked over many logs, with some hesitation, but given his past, that is to be expected.  A couple of large logs he popped over, but that was ok too.  I just want him to be comfortable with me, trust me, and enjoy his job.  He has walked past large tractor trailers, dogs running out and barking at him, bikes coming up from behind him, a jogger and other horses.  In fact, that all happened in ONE ride!  I was very proud of him for not getting unglued.


Yesterday was his first ride out with his herd mate, Piero.  Piero is a great trail pony and a wonderful lead trail horse.  We took turns with Apollo being in front and he did an excellent job.  It was very interesting because after about 15 minutes, he got a little tense, lifted his head and started listening and blowing air.  When I allowed Piero in front, it all stopped.  I took that to mean that he had had his fill of being the leader, it was just too much work and he was not comfortable with it anymore.  I anticipate that as he gets to know and trust me he will be fine leading, but if not, that's ok too.


We were able to go into the river and Piero promptly went for a drink.  He began to splash and play, splashing with his hooves and his head.  It was a lot of fun watching his joy.  I had no idea what Apollo would do or if he'd ever even seen the river before.  Well, when Piero came out he went right for it, doing the same things.  He took a drink, put his head in, splashed with his head and then rather violently pawed and splash with each front leg taking turns.  He really wanted to go in deep and I was a little concerned.  He was not responding to my gently trying to coax him out.  For a moment I thought I would have to get down in the river to hand lead him out!  I am fairly certain he will swim when given the opportunity.  


He walked very calmly over at least 10 logs, no popping or jumping over them today.  We came across a really small branch a few inches off the ground while trotting, and he quietly trotted over it.  It was an improvement over the day before, so he clearly is learning!


And it gets even better......he did a flying lead change!  All she did was shift her weight and he did it automatically!







Loretta the natural horseman clear communication/visible results
Enhanced by Zemanta