Monday, March 5, 2012

Groundwork...why it's important


You know, years ago, when I first started out  with horses, I heard "Do your groundwork!"
 from lots of experienced folks.

 For a while I didn't know what that
 meant.  Even worse, I didn't understand  the implications of its importance.

 I was impatient and wanted to do
 everything I could as fast I as I could.
 Thus, I saw groundwork as nice to do but  took too much time compared to what I wanted  to ge done.

 I couldn't have been more wrong.

 In reality, groundwork is great
 because it builds your confidence AND the  confidence of the horse as well.  It's a great  way to build a bond between you and horse...
 not to mention trust, respect, and understanding.

 What many people don't know is that
 from the ground is a great place to watch your  horse learn and think.  You can watch his  feet and see the mechanics of his his thinking,  his response and how he moves his body to your  handling and commands.


from Charlie Hicks @









Loretta
 the natural horseman
 clear communication/visible results