Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Treats or no treats


Training Tip of the Week: Treats should be a surprise for your horse

By Clinton Anderson18. December 2012 00:05

I often get asked if feeding treats will cause a horse to become pushy or to bite. The answer is it depends. Feeding your horse treats won’t teach him to be mouthy as long as you give him treats correctly. Never give your horse a treat if he’s looking for it. When I give my horses a treat, I want it to be a surprise. I don’t use treats to bribe the horse or win his affection. Treats are just a bonus for a job well-done. A treat should always be a surprise. If you constantly feed your horse treats, he’ll be looking for them, and that’s when he’ll start mouthing your shirt, pockets and hands. When you give your horse treats, feed him one at a time, and only give them when he’s not expecting it. If he is looking for a treat, he doesn’t get one


People ask me all the time why I don't give more treats. Clinton says it perfectly here. I want them to know that when they get a treat they did something really well.  Just like with a child.

Loretta
clear communication
visible results