Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Introduction to True Natural Horsemanship

Three years ago, Scottie the big chestnut came into my life. I had just put down my long time partner and best friend, Shadow. I needed another draft in my life, and of course my other horse needed a new friend too.

I visited and rode Scottie, then known as Elton, several times before making the decision to purchase him. Trained by one of the O'Connor's trainers as a 3yr old, & currently 6years old, he was a steal at $2K, custom bridle for that big head, included.

We came home and Scottie quickly asserted himself as leader of the 2 horse herd. Everything was going along very smoothly. We went out on the trails several days a week. Scottie appeared to be adjusting to me and his new home quite well.

Now, before I go into what happened next, you need to know a little background on Scottie in order for it to make sense. He was born and raised on the farm where I purchased him. His mother, a registered Irish Draught, still lived on the farm with him. She was purchased in Ireland and the owner did not know she was in foal, to what appears to be a Belgian. (one look at Scottie and that's not hard to see.) Scottie was professionally broken at three, but still very green. He was not ridden regularly. Occasionally he was hacked on trails and hilltopped at the local hunts. He seemed to be a horse that you could leave alone, and come back to with no problems. Terrific! When I tried him out for the first time, I noticed he had on a strange halter. It was made of skinny rope. I had never seen one before.

This was the beginning of what I thought were my troubles, but turned out to be the best thing I could have ever learned.