Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A-Z Training Tips A= Appreciate

When we teach our horses anything new, we owe it to him to take a moment and appreciate where he is NOW. Mentally, and in his current level of training and ability.

For example, my draft had an issue with always being on high alert, and his head was always up in the moon. At the same time he was head and ear shy. I really needed to teach him about head lowering! Appreciating and realizing where he currently stood with that, I first taught him to move front,back,left and right, without me moving my feet. Now that I had control of his feet, and he knew I was the herd leader because I moved his feet, he was in a much better frame of mind to start head lowering. Please note: This did not happen in one sessions! This took place over several months. Taking time and going slow will be topics of future tips. Until then, happy trails!