Sunday, March 8, 2009

Piero's Training Day 4

Wow. I am so excited! I worked with Piero yesterday, and he was super! He is really catching on to the ground work and understanding that I am the herd leader-all the time!

So, yesterday after a short round of ground work, I groomed him and tacked him up. We did a little more ground work, sending back, halting and following, then I got on him. Wow. I was so surprised. When I went to visit him before he came to live with me, I was told that when he was under saddle he was very full of it. They couldn't touch him behind the leg or on his rump. And had to ride with their legs away from his side because of his sensitivity. I knew I felt from the beginning that he was misunderstood, and I guess I was right on there. He was perfect under saddle. It's been two weeks since he arrived and I've not asked much of him except for the little bits of ground work that we've been doing.

He was calm, quite, just wonderful. I had my legs flapping all around him, and took my feet out of the stirrups, put them back in, and he was fine. I turned around and patted his rump, no problem. We trotted and I got an immediate halt when I asked. All this with very light contact. I almost felt like he was saying thank you and that he was very greatful that I took this approach.


I am confident that he will have no further issues and will be quite easy to sell. He has been to shows at Upperville and Frying Pan!

My theory on Piero's previous misbehavior: When the owner let her friend borrow him, they started using him within a couple of days for lessons. I believe that he did not have a human herd leader, and that was the main problem. Do all horses need that in order to behave properly? No. Not all do. However, some do. And maybe that's a good thing. Maybe those are the ones that still have theior original horse spirit in them. They are, after all, herd animals that look for leadership. I read an article written by the dog whisperer and he said that dogs need 1. discipline/direction 2. exercise 3. affection IN THAT ORDER.
I believe it is the same for equines. We want to be loving and doting on them, but that is not really what they are looking for. These things are human desires that we put onto our equine friends. Now that we know better, we can not only better communicate, but better coexist with one another.

More on that thought tomorrow!

clear communication
visible results