Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Listening to my horse


I took Scottie on a trail ride today.  We started with our usual routine of grooming, then ground work.  I got on him in my ring/front pasture. We walked around a bit and then headed out for the trail.  


I opted to take a well known favorite that would take about an hour with time to stop at the river.


After about 20 minutes he stopped.  Simply didn't move forward any more.  Now, he has done this before.  One time he actually cocked a leg. It was as if he was saying, hey, I just need a breather (and we were with a friend then.)  Being alone today, and he hasn't done much since my foot was broken all summer, I assumed it was a 'I really want my friends' kind of stop.  He did not try to turn, spin, or in any way attempt to head back. Those are all things a herd bound horse would do.  So, it did strike me as odd, but I was pretty sure that was the answer.  Onward I pushed, literally, and he gave nothing.   


Eventually we had a chat.  I explained to him that I would kick him if he wouldn't go and that I really did not want to do that.  So, I kicked.  And pushed.  And kicked.  Nothing.  So, I got down.  I figured I would walk him forward a bit, get back on, and once he realized that he had to move forward anyway, he'd be fine.


I found an appropriate sized log to stand on (he's 17.3h) and up I went.  Ok, here we go.  Nope.  He still wasn't moving.  While being hand walked he seemed fine.  Never stopped or even pulled or tugged on me.  Just willingly following me.  Hmmmm.....  I grabbed a stick and whacked him.  He moved about 3 steps and stopped.  I was stumped.  I was not going to haul with all my might on my sensitive friend.  I have a brain and know that is not a good idea.  So, I told him we'd just hang out there together for a while and think about this.  I told him I wanted to know what was going on and that I wanted to have fun with him.  We stood there for about 10 minutes.  Not once did he try to turn around.  All of a sudden a thought popped into my head. (This is typically how my intuition works.)  My thought sounded like Scottie and he was saying, " You said you wanted more warning  if something is wrong.  If you'd stop trying to make me move forward and pay attention and listen, you would know I am trying to tell you something. "  


I took a deep breath, asked him to turn around, and we walked home.  Quietly.  It was not a 'yeah she's letting me go home' walk like Shadow would've done.  It was just Scottie walking. 


For those of you reading this that do not know, about 1 1/2 years ago I was on a trail ride with Scottie and a friend when he suddenly, without any warning (or so it seemed) bucked and flung me into the air.  I was catapulted up and over, landing head first. Broke my ankle, which I am so grateful for because landing on my head scared the crap out of me.  After that we had many conversations about how and why this happened.  Turned out his back was very sore from a previous spill he took on a trail.  I asked him to make sure and tell me 'louder' next time he had a problem.  I asked him to make sure I understood so this never happened again.


I felt ashamed as we walked home.  Why did it take so long for me to figure out?  My first thoughts were of a negative nature.  That he was doing something wrong and I could not let him win by turning around.  I had tears in my eyes as I apologized to him.  I think at that moment he was feeling that humans are a bit slow.  I am sure there are many horsey folk who would say I did the wrong thing.  You know, I don't care.  I am safe.  He is too.  I'll get the chiropractor back out, and we'll go from there.  I'd rather be alive and wrong than dead or injured and right.



Loretta the natural horseman clear communication/visible results