Friday, February 11, 2011

Risk: Inherent, Calculated or Unnecessary

Risk defined:



  • hazard: a source of danger; a possibility of incurring loss or misfortune;
  • a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury;
  • expose to a chance of loss or damage

Risk is a common word when one is around equines.  We've all seen and signed the release of liability which refers to the 'inherent' risk of being around equines, simply because of their nature.   In simple terms this means that merely grooming a horse puts you at risk of a possible injury because the horse is unpredictable.

When we add things to the mix, our risks increase.  The risk of being injured increases when I am finished grooming and decide to mount the horse.  The risk increases again if I ride on a trail as opposed to in a ring or other confined area.  

Here's where the area of risk can become gray.  Even though there are many inherent risks associated with equines, there are things we can do to minimize them.  If we choose NOT to do them, then we have taken an UNNECESSARY risk.  Here are some examples:

  • Choosing to wear a helmet vs. not wearing one.
  • Doing ground work before riding vs. hopping right on.
  • Choosing not to ride if your mount seems to be off that day, or spooky, or if it's very windy, etc...
So, what is a calculated risk and how is it different from an unnecessary one?  A calculated risk is one that is necessary for what needs to be accomplished.  The key word here is NECESSARY.  As a horse trainer I need to teach my horses to stand quietly for the farrier.  That means I need to pick up their feet often.  Being close to the horse's feet puts me in a risky position, one in which I can easily be kicked by an untrained horse.  However, they need to learn this and that is my job.  I then can deduce how risky the situation is and act accordingly.  If their behavior is such that I feel I am going to be kicked, perhaps that day's lesson will be on standing still quietly.  With horses we are always making adjustments.

How do we determine what is necessary or not?  If you are a rider, then getting on the horse is a necessary risk. Riding in 50MPH winds is unnecessary.  Typically I have found that necessary = have to and unnecessary = a choice.

This also flows over into our day to day handling of our horses.  My horses would love to go out into their field, but it is an icy mess, so I keep them in.  I CHOOSE to keep them in because of the risk of one of them falling and getting hurt.  Do I feel badly because I know they want to go out?  No!  I know what is best for them.

I find myself assessing risk more times a day than you would believe.  The horse is in my way when I am going to feed,  somehow I got behind him and within kicking distance, one horse moves another into my space, they want to crowd me for attention while I am mucking.  

I will continue to strive to become a better evaluator of risk for myself and for those around me.











Loretta


 the natural horseman


 clear communication/visible results