Monday, May 17, 2010

Getting to know Gemstone

Wow.  That really sums it up.  Just WOW.  Gemmy is so much more than I ever hoped for her to be.  I don't even know where begin.  Here goes:


She is sweet and polite.  Not like any other mare I have known.  She comes to you when she sees you to say hello.  


She stands to be groomed and for the farrier, very still, sometimes we don't even tie her.  She loves being groomed and usually falls asleep!  


She is a safe mount for beginners to learn on.  In fact, I would have to say I trust her explicitly.  Perhaps more than any of my other horses.  (Scottie does not read my blog-usually.)  In fact, a student of mine is turning 7.  She rides Piero, but as a little birthday treat I let her ride Gemmy.  Advanced students and riders can have fun with her.  She is learning about our ground work and has a lovely canter.  She remembers her dressage training when at the end of the lesson she heads to the center of the ring, tucks her head in and halts. :)


Now, here's where I'll ramble on forever.  The TRAILS.  She's been out 4 times.  The 1st time we went out with Gus and she was great.  She led the ride and didn't question anything.  She crossed a new bridge that I had never been across.  Honestly, I didn't quite know what to expect.  After all, she'd been in a pasture and not really used at all for a year or more.  She is 17 and has had 5 babies.  There was a good chance she'd be a little sour, just wanting to stay on permanent vacation.


Ok, back to the trails.  The ONLY thing she did 'wrong' was when asked to stand still she gets very antsy, and then, dare I say it, she reared.  Oh well, I'll nip that in the bud-everything else is near perfect as can be.


The next two times I took her out alone.  She kept looking back toward home, a very normal reaction when a horse is by herself.  Again, she displayed exemplary skill and trust.  She crossed creeks, went up hill, carried her weight behind going down hill (yeah!) and even galloped on the path toward home.  The second day was a repeat, so as we trotted up to a small log I said, "Ok, Gemmy, now's the time to show me how you feel about jumping."  I got in 2 point ahead of the jump, (not knowing what she would offer me), and she jumped over it beautifully.  Now, it was small enough to trot over, but she jumped it.  Not a big over jumping to the moon, just a nice little jump.  I think the smile on my face went clear into the next day!


Yesterday we went out again, this time with Austin.  We took a path that I don't go on often, too many low branches and debris for Scottie to fit around, under and through.  She did not hesitate the least.  Just went where I asked like she'd been there a million times.  Several logs on the path to jump and when she'd spot them, I could feel her excitemenet and she was saying, oh, please can we jump that one?   Now if that weren't enough, here's the best part.  There is a nasty revine type ditch/creek.  Steep slope down and then back up the other side.  I was hesitant.  I tried it once before and hated it.  I said what the heck, let's go for it.  So, as I was reminding myself (outloud) to keep my EYES and HEAD up and looking straight ahead, Gem proceeded down.  We were sliding, it had just rained.  Not the best time for this, but, what a great, great test of not only her ability, but her willingness, her intelligence on what to do with her feet, her trust in me, I could just go on.  My dear friend was so happy too.  She said, "Wow Gem!  I have a new respect for you girlfriend!"


She is happily teaching some beginner adults how to ride.  She is also working with a couple of ladies that are interested in learning ground work, and having that really special, spiritual type of connection.  Gem seems to really enjoy that.


I can not thank Rebecca and her mom enough for entrusting this sweet lady with me.  I am honored to have her in my life, and so is everyone she meets.  I tell her hello for you guys all the time and give her hugs, kisses, and of course, peppermints!
















Loretta the natural horseman clear communication/visible results