Friday, May 21, 2010

Update on Stryker

The vet came out today.  Dr. Broadus said to me, "You can be happier than you imagined.  You have your horse back.  He'll be fine.  The tendon is reattached and looks great.  Weak, but great."

WOW!  YOWZA!  OMG!  Happy Dancing around the yard with tears in my eyes!


I will be creating a front porch for his run in to give him extra room to move.  We will start rehab for the leg, and he also needs physical rehab due to muscle loss from 6 months of stall rest.  The biggest thing now is for him to exercise, slowly & in very controlled settings.  He cannot have the opportunity to run and get crazy like I know he'd like to.  If he did the tendon would likely rip apart.  So I will make extra room for him and hand walk him for the next few weeks.   Then I will actually begin riding him at the walk.  I am so excited.  I didn't think I would be on him until fall!  The doctor and I are so happy and amazed he has healed with no complications and so quickly.  


I can think of a couple of people who will really enjoy riding him!  I plan on polishing up my jumping with him, so we can ease both of us back into that.


In case you haven't seen him lately he is looking really good.  Very true to his former name, Handsome.  His mane has grown out and has a ton of silver in it.  He has many brown flecks, not like a flea bitten grey, but simply random brown flecks.  I will be uploading some pictures very soon.


Thank you to everyone who helped get us through this, mentally, emotionally, and physically.  It really was tough in all of those areas and feels great to see the light come through the darkness.


This is really the news I needed.  I have been feeling down because Tango would have been 27 years old yesterday.  This helps me keep looking forward.


Loretta